Tweet Follow @sfitzyfly The people I meet everyday.

Monday 18 May 2015

Meet your idols and say hello.

Not many people have the opportunity to meet their own personal idols. I have had those opportunities. Whether they are in the sporting or musical world, I've had just about enough confidence to go up to them and say hello. Life is for living - not for regrets.

I've met many famous people, mainly through my work. And the reason I write this blog is because one of my own personal heroes passed away just recently. I was blessed to meet him on more than one occasion and he never disappointed. He was a true gentleman and in the eulogy of his brother Paul - “Tony’s voice was so distinctive that it was more famous than his face.”

That man was Tony Fenton. I first heard his utterly distinctive voice on Sunshine 101. His deep bass voice was probably more resonant than other DJs. His radio show was filled with tunes and music from my teenage years right through to the present day.

Meeting him the first time, I didn't realise who he was until he said "thank you." I did a rapid about turn and asked him if his name was Tony. Being the ever gentleman, he quietly said yes and gave me a look and a nod to say - yes, the surname is Fenton. I was immediately star struck. I couldn't go back near him to be honest. So I did the thing before smartphones and selfies - I asked for his autograph and he kindly obliged. We chatted for a few seconds - I mumbled, while he spoke.

The next time I met him was a few years later. We entered into conversation easily and we chatted about various Irish bands - mainly who were up and coming and showing true promise. He was honest and open in his opinions and chatted and laughed with anyone on the plane. All I remember is that everyone wanted to buy him a Jack Daniels and Coke - he was the kind of guy you wanted to have a drink and a good chat with.


More recently, I had the opportunity to meet a literary hero of mine called John Connolly. John is a world renowned author who has won several literary awards and accolades – and he’s an absolute gentleman. And when I admitted to him that I was a fan of his work, he genuinely blushed.

And that's one of the main reasons I advise you to go up to your own personal idols and heroes and say hello. They are human - just like you. Whether you ask them for a selfie, a proper picture or an old fashioned autograph - they should be flabbergasted and honoured that you've asked for a few seconds of their time - just to spend it with you.


I met Liam Neeson two days after September 11th 2001. He, like everyone else flying at that time, was nervous. A quiet gentleman who gives so much of his own personal time to Unicef - and doesn't look for thanks through the media.

One of my first ever athletic heroes was an Irish legend by the name of Caitriona McKiernan. I genuinely grunted at her, such was my disbelief at meeting her in the flesh. She was effusive and kind with her time - I still have her autograph from 1997. She even edited her best times (in pencil!) on the autographed postcard.

Meeting two living soccer legends doesn't happen every day. When you realise that they are as normal as yourself, you like them even more. I met Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman two years ago when they were heading back to Liverpool after witnessing the All-Ireland hurling final between Clare and Cork. The final itself was a draw and it was the first time they had seen the game of hurling first hand. They were mightily impressed and were even thinking of coming back for the replay.


When I met Seve Ballesteros in 2004, it was a complete accident. He was so quiet and unassuming, I actually doubted he was sitting in front of me. He spoke with everyone that knew him on the plane - a fabulous representative for the world of golf.

Please remember that if your hero isn't the person you wanted them to be - don't be disheartened. That one individual could be just having an off day. We're all entitled to have one of those every once in a while.

So from that point of view – tell people that have affected your life in a positive way, how they have made your day brighter.






No comments: