Tweet Follow @sfitzyfly The people I meet everyday.

Wednesday 30 May 2012

Passing Remarks.

None of us like to hear negative things said about us. It's only human - we are living creatures that get emotionally hurt when our pride takes a bashing. Words hurt and cut more deeply that a knife or a thump. Depending on the level of the thumping or the actual size of the knife, obviously.

But what is about wearing a uniform that makes you impervious or even bulletproof to insults?

Out of your uniform, you maybe react a little differently. Or maybe you don't.

Yesterday, I had the privilege of encountering two very different people, who in a matter of seconds, had contrasting passing remarks said to both myself and other colleague.

As we passed through security along with passengers and my friend, we came across an elderly couple - one in a wheelchair. My colleague, who shall remain nameless, had the distinction of nicking her ankle with the footrest of the chair. The gentleman pushing his partner, had moved the chair a little too close to my colleague and caught her on the left ankle.

No blood came forth and he immediately apologised. My work colleague brushed it off and said it was "no problem".
But then the lady in the chair piped up with a remark that near floored my friend with laughter as she passed through the metal detector.

"Jaysus love - I hope I didn't rub me colostomy bag on ya."

Now I don't know if it's - A. Respect for crew that stems from a certain generation of older Irish people or  B. The uniform that compels Irish people to tell us their life story in ten seconds.

The lady meant no offence and the tone was totally friendly. Even her husband laughed heartily.

Walking away and wishing my colleague a good flight to Boston, I walked the short distance to the Chocolate Lounge for T2's best coffee. Standing in line for coffee, I met my second hilarious individual. When it rains, it bloody pours.

I stood next to the takeaway counter and ordered a latte (I'm so posh!). Having just paid the young lady who had hurt two of her fingers just that morning (she had them strapped up and was working the till rather gingerly), I had a mint muffin thrust in front of me. It was as if it had just fallen down directly from the ceiling, right in front of me. Except it arrived with pace and downright disrespect.

Being surprised and somewhat alarmed by the aggression, I stepped back. Did I jump the queue? Did I not see that there was another customer in front of me?

The answer was no - to both. For getting in this rotund American lady's way, I got a look of disdain that would have peeled wallpaper. The young lady behind the counter saw my look of disbelief and smirked a little. The 'lady' ordered the same drink and we stood waiting for the coffee to be brewed.

When my coffee was prepared, it was passed in my direction. My American friend put her hand out to receive it but the young lady behind the counter held on to it and made sure I got the first latte. I thanked her for her courtesy with a simple nod of the head and flicker of the eyes.

Then came her comment "Ah for Gawd's sake!"

I asked simply "Sorry Madam - have I offended you in some way?"

I got no response. I didn't expect one.

Did she - A. See me as a reflection of the entire organisation and just dislike the company or B. Not like men?

In the space of two minutes, I was laughing for two completely different and bizarre reasons.


No comments: